This post was last updated July 29
Last year, several countries lost their TPS (Temporary Protected Status) designation. By early October 2018, a lawsuit against wrongful termination of TPS made it to a federal judge, who ruled in favor of TPS which immediately extended TPS for two countries’ whose beneficiaries were about to lose legal protection from deportation: Sudan and Nicaragua. The ruling was appealed and a final decision on TPS was not yet available.
What does 2019 mean for TPS?
A final decision on the future of TPS will be made. The countries of South Sudan, Syria, Somalia, and Yemen have active TPS, so their status in the program is still in effect. TPS, however, is a conditional program that is renewed on a case-by-case.
Six countries are currently at risk of losing their designation. El Salvador, Haiti, and Honduras are the three countries with the most TPS beneficiaries.
On February 28, due to the federal court case filed by El Salvador, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Sudan TPS holders, the Department of Homeland Security extended TPS through January 2020 for those countries. On April 11, a federal judge in New York ruled that Haiti’s TPS designation was unjustly terminated. By mid-May, the House Judiciary Committee moved forward bills in support of TPS and DACA, which passed in the House early June.
Here are news headlines specific to TPS:
- [July 2] [FL] Immigrant-Rights Groups Target Miramar ICE Facility As Part Of National Protests
- [July 2] [TX] Father of 2 Allowed to Return to US After Being Deported Two Years Ago
- [July 4] A Hearing On Africa: Questions Unanswered, Questions Unasked By Salih Booker And Temi Ibirogba
- [July 7] [MA] Boston suburb reflects broad changes in US immigration
- [July 10] [WI] Council approves resolution calling for visas for parents and spouses of DACA or TPS recipients
- [July 11] [MD] Know Your Rights training in Riverdale discusses best practices for dealing with ICE
- [July 13] US: Undocumented immigrants, advocates prepare for mass ICE raids
- [July 13] [MA] On Eve Of Expected ICE Raids, Mass. Residents Organize And Educate
- [July 13] [MA] After a vigil, Boston immigration advocates come together to plan
- [July 15] [FL] Haitians on TPS fear being swept up in immigration raids
- [July 16] Trump administration won’t be granting Venezuelans temporary protection for now
- [July 23] Bipartisan push to grant protected status to Venezuelans fails in House
- [July 25] US House passes bill on protected status for Venezuelans
- [July 26] US: Syrians Face Danger Without Temporary Protection
- [July 29] [NV] Children of TPS recipients share fears of families torn apart
- [July 29] US should give Syrian people the right to stay says United Nations
- [July 29] [PA] Raided by ICE three times, Philly migrant works to help others who could face deportation