This post was last updated June 2
Last year, several countries lost their TPS (Temporary Protected Status) designation. By early October 2018, a lawsuit against wrongful termination of TPS made it to a federal judge, who ruled in favor of TPS which immediately extended TPS for two countries’ whose beneficiaries were about to lose legal protection from deportation: Sudan and Nicaragua. The ruling was appealed and a final decision on TPS was not yet available.
What does 2019 mean for TPS?
A final decision on the future of TPS will be made. The countries of South Sudan, Syria, Somalia, and Yemen have active TPS, so their status in the program is still in effect. TPS, however, is a conditional program that is renewed on a case-by-case.
Six countries are currently at risk of losing their designation. El Salvador, Haiti, and Honduras are the three countries with the most TPS beneficiaries.
On February 28, due to the federal court case filed by El Salvador, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Sudan TPS holders, the Department of Homeland Security extended TPS through January 2020 for those countries. On April 11, a federal judge in New York ruled that Haiti’s TPS designation was unjustly terminated. By mid-May, the House Judiciary Committee moved forward bills in support of TPS and DACA.
Here are news headlines specific to TPS:
- [May 1] [FL] The White House wants to end TPS for Nicaraguans. Two Miami lawmakers want to keep it
- [May 1] [FL] Reps. Shalala, Diaz-Balart Introduce Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Nicaraguans
- [May 2] Yes, Venezuelans in the U.S. Need Temporary Protected Status
- [May 5] Trump administration denies special help to Venezuelans seeking asylum
- [May 7] [NV] Sisolak Signs Joint Statement On DACA, TPS Protections
- [May 13] Continuation of TPS for Nepal and Honduras
- [May 14] Violence Against Women in El Salvador Is Driving Them to Suicide — Or to the U.S. Border
- [May 17] Key facts about U.S. immigration policies and proposed changes
- [May 22] House Judiciary set to review bills to protect Dreamers and TPS recipients
- [May 23] [PA] Poll: Pa. residents overwhelmingly support path to citizenship for Dreamers, TPS recipients
- [May 23] House Judiciary Committee passes bipartisan bill to give Venezuelans temporary protections
- [May 24] House Bills Would Give Millions a Path to Citizenship
- [May 24] Immigration bills move forward amid political upheaval
- [May 28] The American Dream and Promise Act of 2019: State-by-State Fact Sheets
- [May 28] [PA] In battleground states, strong support for DACA immigrants, poll shows
- [May 28] [FL] Florida Lawmakers Urge President Trump to Grant Venezuelans TPS
- [May 30] [NE] Omaha, Lincoln, other chambers call on Congress to protect certain immigrants
- [May 30] Here are the 10 key immigration issues presidential candidates face on the campaign trail
Leave a Reply